Railway minister Suresh Prabhu presented his second budget on Thursday where he talked about introducing new trains and implementing new programmes. In his speech, the railway minister introduced some new initiatives that his ministry plans for transforming railways.
Railway Budget 2016 focuses on enhancing customer experience & freight revenue.
Here is a list of those initiatives:
1. Humsafar Express: A fully air conditioned train with an optional service for meals
2. Tejas: It will showcase the future of train travel in India with operating speeds of 130 kmph
3. Uday Express: Overnight double-decker train which will run on busiest of routes. It will have 40 per cent more passenger capacity
4. Antyodaya Express: A superfast train for those travelling on long routes and will be fully unreserved
5. Deen Dayalu coaches: These coaches will have large number of mobile charging points and water. These are meant for long distance travel.
6. Janani: A service to make available baby food, hot milk and hot water for lactating mothers
7. Sarathi: Introduced in Konkan railway to help the old and disabled passengers requiring assistance at stations
8. Sahayak: Coolies will be given training in soft skills and will be called ‘Sahayaks’
9. Clean my Coach: Passengers will be able to demand cleaning of a toilet via SMS. The audit will be done by third party and action to be taken based on passenger feedback
10. Sreshtha: A special railway establishment for strategic technology and holistic advancement. RDSO will only focus on day-to-day issues while Sreshtha would drive long-term research
11. Navarambh: A set of initiatives for a new beginning in the railways. Navarambh will provide structural interventions, improve plan practices and help in consolidating the data
12. Sutra: A dedicated, cross functional team called Special Unit for Transportation Research and Analytics to carry out detailed analysis leading to optimized investment decisions and operations
13. Avtaran: A collection of seven missions which plan to transform Indian Railways
14. Navrachna: Setting aside a sum of Rs 50 crores for providing innovation grants to employees, startups and growth oriented small businesses to support internal and external innovation
Reference: Times Of India