For the Western World, India has been a land of Snake Charmers, Taj Mahal, hot spices, cow worshipers, But India is much more than that, India has a glorious history and a bright future where Incredible India stands tall along with the World’s super powers.
Here are some cool random facts about Incredible India.
1. Around a 100 million years ago, India was an island.
2. In West Bengal, India, cows must have a Photo ID Card.
3. Police officers in one state in India are given a slight pay upgrade for having a moustache.
4. It’s illegal to take Indian currency (rupees) out of India.
5. Gleevec, a cancer drug that costs US$70,000 in the U.S. per year, cost just US$2,500 in India because it can’t be patented there.
6. India’s Hindu calendar has 6 seasons: spring, summer, monsoon, autumn, winter and prevernal.
7. 70% of all the world’s spices come from India.
8. Sex toys are illegal in (land of Khajuraho) India.
9. India has the largest slave population in the modern world with over 14 million slaves.
10. In India, a polling station is set up in a forest for a lone voter in every election since 2004.
11. “Anal”is a language spoken in India and Burma by 23,000 people.
12. In India, there is a vigilante group called the “Love Commandos” that offers protection from harassment to couples from different castes who fall in love.
13. India’s “Go Air” airline only hires female flight attendants because they are lighter, so they save up to US$500,000 per year in fuel.
14. A con man famously known as ‘Natwarlal’ in India repeatedly “sold” the Taj Mahal, the Indian parliament and various other heritage sites. He was sentenced to 113 years but managed to escape prison 9 times. The last time, he was 84 years old.
15. In Canada, Mexico, India, Russia and Israel, bank notes have Braille-like markings on them for the blind.
16. There is a gypsy tribe in India that celebrates death as one of the happiest events in their lives, while treating births with great grief.
17. Indian housewives hold 11% of the World’s Gold. That is more than the reserves of the U.S., IMF, Switzerland and Germany put together.
18. In India, it is not uncommon to consume marijuana in milkshake form.
19. Global warming ‘solved’ a land dispute between India and Bangladesh: the island in dispute disappeared.
20. In South India, people roll over food leftovers served to Brahmins in the belief that all troubles and ailments will be cured.
21. 74% of young Indians prefer an arranged marriage over a free-choice one, a 2013 survey found.
22. 13 of the 20 most polluted cities in world are just in India.
23. Only about 1 in 100 marriages in India end in divorce, one of the lowest rates in the world.
24. India has more people using the internet than the entire population of the U.S.
25. despite budgetary constraints, India’s space program is one of the top 5 space programs in the world.
26. Magnetic Hill is a gravity hill located near Leh in Ladakh, India. The hill is alleged to have magnetic properties strong enough to pull cars uphill and force passing aircraft to increase their altitude in order to escape magnetic interference.